re: front wheel bearings

To: brian@uunet.ca
Subject: re: front wheel bearings
From: Bkitterer <Bkitterer@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 05:06:46 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Brian wrote:
>Mini's use the same kind of front bearing setup, and the bearings and spacer
>were sold as a matched kit - the spacer was touted as not interchangeable
>between different pairs of bearings, let alone different manufacturers of
>bearings.  - - - -

Brian,

The bearing spacer on Sprigets are interchangeable.  I do not know how the
Mini's are done.  The Spriget hub and axle have bearing surfaces that allow
for some variation in race thickness which is taken up when the axle nut is
tightened down.  I would guess at something like 0.025 - 0.050 inches.  It is
not very much but then the bearings should not vary that much even between
different manufactures.

Thanks for all of the response on roller bearings.  We did not pursue this
option beyond the one set of bearings for other reasons which is a different
very long story.

Bob and Ann
60 Sprite