Re: mech tach

To: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Subject: Re: mech tach
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 16:56:42 -0600
Cc: "'patrick.elliott@attws.com'" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hanna, Mark wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
> I too have the same problem,a 1275 with an alternator in a
> car with a mechanical tach (Bugeye) . Wanting to keep my
> dash looking stock I considered changing the face of a latter
> electric tach with the stock mechanical tach (see PDLJMPR
> tech info) . This so far has not been a good option.The calibration is
> all wrong and no one has been able to tell me
> how to recalibrate the electric tach.IMHO going back to a stock
> generator with a tach drive is a big step backwards.Mini Mania
> advertised a VDO electric tach with a sprite tach face , but I
> think this is the face from a latter electric tach . I have decided
> to keep my original mechanical tach and am hoping to drive it
> with a Mallory duel point distributor that has a tach drive interface
> feature . I saw this Mallory tach on an SCCA Sprite
> race car with an A series engine. If you hear of a better way
> please let me know .
>                              Mark Hanna
>                              AN5L/13731

Mark:

The later electric tach's are adjustable through a potentiometer that
is accessible from the back of the tach, sometimes covered by a rubber
plug.  It is fairly simple to just temporarily set up another electric
tach to the dist side of the coil and make them match with the screw
in the spridget tach.  Use a small insulated screwdriver so you don't
short anything out.  You will want to make sure that you follow the
+/- ground instructions before you attempt to adjust it.  My tach
would top out a 2000 RPM before I got it adjusted, now all is well and
it does track with the electric (temp) tach now.

Hope this helps...
--
Mark
70 Midget