RE: Hot Bearings

To: "'chasdoug@gte.net'" <chasdoug@gte.net>, spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Hot Bearings
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:16:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Try replacing the rubber brake line to the caliper.  Over time they swell
up internally, allowing that caliper to clamp, but not to release.  (Pedal
pressure is enough to force through, but the back pressure of the calipers
isn't enough.)

If you don't want to replace the hose blindly, step on the brake pedal
really hard, like an all-out panic stop.  Then jack up the wheel in
question and try to turn it.  If it's stiff to turn, open the bleed screw
on the caliper for a moment, then close it.  If the wheel is now easier to
turn, it's probably the brake hose.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net