Hot Bearings

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hot Bearings
From: chasdoug@gte.net
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:48:49 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My left front wheel bearing continues to overheat, even after completely
rebuilding it with new bearings and using a higher temp grease.

I'm afraid I'm only a weekend mechanic, and this has me baffled.

After about 45 minutes of 40mph+- driving, the left front wheel starts
squeaking -- really kind of a chirp -- with each revolution.  The brakes
start squealing when stopping, also.  When I stop I can feel the warmth
through the hub cap, and if I take that off, the grease cap is hot
enough to burn and I can smell hot grease.

I don't see how I could have messed up the bearing installation twice --
it seems to have gone ok on the right side.  Could it be front end
alignment?  Toe-in?  Brakes?

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA