Battery charging problems

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Battery charging problems
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:40:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Several weeks ago I posted a message regarding a problem with my ignition
light staying on after startup of my '59 Bugeye.  I ran the battery down as
a result of thinking it just an anomaly.  After charging the battery up, I
checked each cell with a hydrometer that gave me the same good level reading
in each cell. Ignition light still on. So.. not the battery.

I pulled the generator and had it cleaned and checked at a local auto
electronic shop that still checks generators.  I gave a 13+ volt reading.
Put the generator back on and properly polarized it with  a "Y" wire going
to each terminal and brushed across the negative terminal of the battery.
Ignition light still on. So... not the generator.

Finally, I replaced the voltage regulator with a new Lucas one from
Motorhead. Ignition light still on. So... not the voltage regulator.

What the hell is it ?!?!?  It's beginning to get to me.  Help!

Jeff Church
AN5L11627