RE: steering rack mount

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: steering rack mount
From: Bert Kleinschmidt <kleinschmidt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 12:34:15 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
THE COMPLETE OFFICIAL 1275cc SPRITE/MIDGET 1967-1974 manual published by Robert
Bentley describes the alignment procedure on pages 170 through 175 for the
various 67 through 74 cars.

>From my reading of these sections it appears that some cars have shims on the
>right side and some on the left.   Cars before GAN5-114487 had shims on the
>right, after that they were on the left.  The cars with energy absorbing
>steering columns appear a bit more fussy on alignment because the steering
>column is mounted more rigidly.

I haven't done these procedures on my cars yet, so I have no first hand
experience with them.  I believe that from the procedures described in the book
you mount the steering gear loosely, determine where it has to be so everything
lines up as you turn the steering wheel, measure the thickness of the shims
needed and then install the shims and bolt the steering gear down.

Hope this helps,

Bert.