Re: bearing life?

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: bearing life?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 19:53:17 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Matt Liggett wrote:

> I'm currently rebuilding my 1275 and I wonder:  What is average bearing
> life (mains and rod) in a stock 1275?  How much is that shortened by
> building a hot street/autox motor (not a race motor)?
>
> I'm trying to get into budgeting for long term ownership and maintenance
> of my car and plan for overhaul expenses.  I get the impression that a
> reasonably well-built A-series should last about 60k miles before needing
> opened again.  Is that correct?  What fails first?
> --
>         Matt Liggett
>         '60 Mini, '70 Midget, '89 SAAB 900t SPG

  60-80k seems to be the normal on 1275s. I'm sure some people have 300,000
miles on their 1275s with no problems but not me. I have pulled apart a lot of
60-80k 1275s and most are just showing bearing wear. Most of the 1275 problems I
seem to find are seized up engines, rings rusted to cylinder walls.

As far as what goes first.
The transmission! They last about 1 hour or 50 miles for me!!

Frank