New Midget in the Neighborhood

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Midget in the Neighborhood
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:55:18 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Actually, it's an old '73 Midget (GAN5UD135714   G)  that has been in my
neighborhood for a long time.  I just never saw it before.  I was coming
home from work today in OO NINE, when I thought I could see another Midget
coming down the road in front of me.  I blinked a couple of times to be
sure before the other car flashed its lights.  I was so startled, I forgot
how to flash him back.  We both slowed as we passed, and the guy ended up
following me home.  He was a real grizzled old geezer, with a  white beard
at least a foot long and straggly hair.  I'd never seen him before.  He
looked like a caricature of a hermit.  He told me his Midget had been
stored, covered up for eight or ten years, and he was getting it ready for
his son to take back with him to Michigan.  The color was sort of a
metallic BRG, but I could see the engine bay (it didn't have a bonnet on
it) was some strange yellowish, goldish, greenish color.  That was also the
color inside the boot, and I'm sure it was original (but UGLY!).  The old
guy didn't believe me when I told him it was probably the original color.
He thought it was just zinc chromate primer.  Wow!  I just looked it up in
the original '73 brochure I have --- it was called "Limeflower" (man, is it
UGLY.  What WERE they thinking about at MG?  But hey, that's just my
opinion).  This car had an absolutely perfect, uncracked dash,  and
unmarked upholstery, but the carpets were shot.  Seeing it made my day.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain