Re: Re: Insurance

To: "Editorgary" <Editorgary@aol.com>, <bugeye@dreamscape.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Insurance
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:51:40 -0400
Cc: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Gary -
NC does not require that a car be "registered" as off the road.  A car in
storage or  otherwise not being driven may have its registration cancelled
just by turning in the license plates, and no fee for this is imposed.   No
other action is required by the state.  However, the county I live in just
recently implemented something similar to what you refer to (I don't know
about other counties).   A vehicle not being used on the roads must be
listed on the county property tax form.   It's just another revenue
collection scheme that allows non-mobile vehicles to be taxed now, whereas
in the recent past they were not.  My BJ7 has never been registered in the
15 years I have owned it because it is not driveable.  I suppose to be
legal, I should list it on my property tax form and pay taxes on it
forever, even though it may never be driveable again.  I couldn't even get
$25 for its scrap value from a non-Healey enthusiast.  Cars are a very
lucrative source of revenue for governments, which makes it very difficult
to change some silly laws.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 "HEALEYUM"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

> Does NC  have the set-up that California does, which allows (requires)
you to