My 1500 Piper cam is seized

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My 1500 Piper cam is seized
From: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 19:47:15 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My engine stopped running while cruising at 60mph last week and I
finally found the time to take the timing chain cover off.  As I
suspected, the chain was hanging off the cam cog and had broken at the
crank sprocket.  I took the chain out (and the little pieces), and put a
rag around the cam sprocket and tried to turn it - it wouldn't budge.

I put about 1200 miles on this rebuilt engine and it never really showed
any sign of problem.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how in the world the camshaft siezed,
and how I can fix it?  Do I need to slide a new cam in?  Do I need to
have anything machined?  I don't even want to think about the
possibility of valve train damage right now, I just want to see if I can
get the thing running again.  I"m supposed to graduate in 2 weeks.

thanks,
eric

 __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
/__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))