Question about reversing lights

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Question about reversing lights
From: Shannon <squeedle@khoral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:58:02 -0600 (MDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My reversing lights don't work - there is evidence of a short at the fuse
box (scorch marks) and  PO just clipped the wire at the fuse box.  I have:
replaced the bulbs, cleaned out the sockets, cleaned up the contacts, and
looked for evidence of a short from the front firewall down to the back
wall.  I haven't yet checked after the back firewall.

What I want to know is, are there typical failure modes - somewhere along
the wiring harness I should check first?  Is there anything subtle I need
to check for?  The reversing lights are the only rear lights that don't
work.  I have actually tried just connecting the clipped wires together
but they still did not work (there wasn't even any arky-sparky).

Shannon