Re: Question about reversing lights

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Question about reversing lights
From: Shannon <squeedle@khoral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:29:40 -0600 (MDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Steve Byers wrote:

:0Hi, Shannon!
:0You say you connected the clipped wires together.  Sorry if I state the
:0obvious, but did you put in a new fuse, put the car into reverse, and turn
:0on the ignition switch  when you tested the lights?  If you did, you should
:0either have had lights or wires burning.   Do you have a fire extinguisher
:0for your car yet?

er, well, kind of.  I took out the fuse & checked it with an ohmmeter.
The ohmmeter showed no short when I clipped the wires together.  I don't
think I did all that at once, I think (cause it's been months) I tried
measuring without turning the car on (with the car in reverse), but when I
think about that, it doesn't seem like that would work necessarily.  Let
me try all of that stuff together.  Of course, if the switch on the tranny
is bad (or missing) nothing will happen anyway.

:0When I replaced the gearbox in my car with a rebuilt unit, I got it
:0completely installed before I discovered there was no place to connect the
:0wiring to the reverse switch.  There was no switch and no place to install
:0a switch.  I just drove it that way until I had to remove the gearbox
:0again, then I switched the original gearbox top cover, which had the
:0switch, with the cover that did not.  The point is that your lights won't
:0work unless the switch is there and the wires are connected to it.  Good
:0luck!

exactly.  great.  I guess this means I may have to buy a new gearbox top
cover?  bleh.

Shannon