Re: synthetics in fresh rebuilds

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: synthetics in fresh rebuilds
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 24 Apr 1998 17:40:58 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Dietsche wrote:
> A former race driver and mechanical engineer swears by Valvoline Racing
> Formula for superior detergent action - says he's personally torn down
> Valvoline-run engines with 40-50k miles and they were shiny clean
> inside.

As they say on race day commercials:  "More ASE certified Master
Mechanics choose VALVOLINE for their own cars."  Maybe there's something
to that.  I run Castrol GTX in the SAAB.  It is the engine oil of choice
according to most SAAB afficianados I have consulted.  I'm not sure if I
can afford the extra dough for synthetic oil changes in the Midget.

The biggest concern I have is with unfiltered air entering the engine via
the oil filler cap breather.  If this vent is left unfiltered, I would be
foolish to extend my drain intervals.  Anyone have an easy way to modify
my valve cover for a sealed cap and a separate (K&N?) vent filter?  What
about an affordable valve cover that already has these features?

Building in longevity (I hope),
--
<mml@pobox.com>                                              Matt Liggett
                                  '60 Mini, '70 Midget, '89 SAAB 900t SPG