Progress Report

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Progress Report
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 15:45:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
A quick progress report on my 1974 Midget.  Went to emissions on Saturday
morning at 7:30am not giving myself much chance.  I was right.  Not even
close.  My friendly mechanic just told me to tweak and come back.

Took the car up to MG T's run by Rob Medynski.  This guy is a gem.  Knows
his MGs hands down and very, very reasonably priced.  If you are near
northern NJ (W. Milford) and need to go to the pros, see him.  Anyway, Rob
told me my carbs really weren't in that bad a shape (yeah!), but he found
an air leak.  Turns out the intake manifold was bowed...badly.  Got a new
manifold which cured two problems - car no longer runs rough as a cob and
now my bonnet clears the air filters.  At least I think this is the reason
for the latter improvement.  For whatever reason, I'm grateful.

No time to get back to emissions, but that can come next Saturday.  I don't
have an air pump on this though so I'm advised to retard the dist cap, lean
out the carbs and idle up a tad.  Hehehe, who knows.  I've just got to pass
this one time as next year I can register as a historic vehicle and be exempt.

No progress on the fuel fumes though as I ran out of time with Rob.

Thanks to all who suggested fixes for my problems.  More probs in a
following post.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget