Re: exhaust manifold studs

To: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust manifold studs
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:16:57 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dustin,

I have had success with a large vise grip.  But I never overexert for fear
of breaking the stud in the hole.  Usually, I use a torch to heat the area
first.  You can also put 2 nuts on the stud, and snug them together so they
won't move, and then undo the nut closest to the head (which, of course,
actually removes the stud since the nut is locked).

My success ratio is about 35 to 2.  One time I broke a stud, I was able to
drill it out with a small, high quality drill bit, so that the threads in
the head were not damaged. The other time, I ended up tapping the hole to
take a larger size stud, which fortunately worked (if not, sayonara to the
head?!).

WD40 probably does no harm (I use it too), but I'm not sure it gets right
down the stud hole.

Daryl