Re: wiper question

Subject: Re: wiper question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 20:23:10 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The total swept area is determined by the "stroke" of the motor, i.e. the
radius at which the wiper cable is attached to the wheel in the gearbox.
I suspect that your wheel or the whole motor is not original.
They should indeed go to about 2 o'clock.  If you disassemble it, make
sure you install the cable part on the correct side of the wheel.
My wipers currently park at 2 o'clock...:-)
Ulix

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Pete & Caroline Phillips wrote:

> Evangelos G. Makris wrote:
> >
> > My car is LHD and has the square wiper motor and two wipers.
> >
> > The wipers move ok (not lazily at all) but they only go
> > from their 9 o'clock (resting) position to the
> > 12 o'clock one (up to vertical), no further!
> >
> > So, they leave some important areas on the windscreen unwiped.
> >
> > Shouldn't they go up to, say, a 2 o'clock position?
> >
> > What could be the problem here? Brushes? Link? Wheelboxes?
> >
> > Regards
> > Evangelos
> > 66 Sprite Mk3
>
> You should be able to adjust the wipper location by losening the screws
> on the top of the wipper motor and rotating the round plate with the
> wire attached at the top. This controls where the wippers start and
> stop. The wippers should park facing the passenger side of the car. If
> they don't someone may have put the arms on backwards.
>
> Pete Phillips
> 61 Bugeye

                                                           '67 Sprite