Re: front brake lines

To: Kurt Guerdrum <toadhall@vonl.com>
Subject: Re: front brake lines
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:22:33 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Kurt Guerdrum wrote:

> hope someone out there can help me.  I've managed to break both of
> my front brake lines on my bugeye (long embarrassing story about
> my ham-handed mechanical ability that I'd rather not go into in depth)
> Anyway, I ordered new brake lines from vicky brit and discovered that
> the fittings already on them weren't correct (male at both ends)
> plus, i can't seem to find a pipe-bending tool small enough to make
> all the proper size loops in the line.  Wanted to cut off one end
> put on the correct female fitting, and flare it.  but I can't locate
> anybody who knows what a flaring tool is (myself included).  I am
> at the point where i just want to pay somebody to do the job for me,
> but when they see me coming, mechanics and auto parts clerks run the
> other way.  no one seems to know anything about this arcane art of
> making up brake lines with bubble flares.
> i live near Houston Intercontinental Airport, and can't believe there
> is nobody around here who can do the job or give me what i need to do
> it.  Anybody out there that can give me some guidance?? I am willing to
> go "out of state" if necessary.  Thanks in advance for any help.
> Kurt
> 60 Bugeye - "Mr. Toad"

 Kurt

Double or bubble flaring tools are available at most specialty tool suppliers.
I bought mine at a local industrial supply for around $30. I also have one of
the cheesy ones that the Brit car suppliers sell (it came in a parts car) They
work too but cost about twice as much.
It is a very simple device. Check you local auto parts store.
Also british brake lines are available at most auto parts stores, I just bought
a complete set for a 59 Austin A40 at a new Kar Parts store that opened up in
town about a year ago. I had to supply them with the lengths but the girl pulled
them out of stock. They come in 6" incriments up to 72" long.

good luck

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs