Re: Wheel Bearings

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
From: chasdoug@gte.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:47:40 -0700
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> I have a question about wheel bearings.  I started to read on how to change
> these and found that I am supposed to have a special tool - a hub extractor
> and may need another one - a hub bearing remover.  Is this really the case?
>  Should I have a pro do the wheel bearings?

One of the front hubs on my bugeye came right off, the other one
required the extractor.  The local auto-parts-chain-store rented one to
me for $5 or some such trivial amount.

One of the bearings (actually, the "inner bearing race") stuck on the
stub axle.  I was unable to find a tool to remove it.  After trying a
cold chisel, then heat, I finally cut it off with the cutting disk of a
Dremel.

Some advice I got from the list on installation: put the bearings in the
freezer overnight and heat the hub in the oven for an hour just before
installation.

You will still need a "drift" set (I got a cheap set at the
auto-parts-chain-store for $10 or so) or some appropriately sized
sockets or pipe segments to drive the bearings into the hub, and
possibly to seat the hub back on the stub axle.

All in all, not a difficult job even for this shade tree mechanic.

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA