Re: Fulcrum Pins

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pins
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
OK, to get the nut off, I'd say go and buy an angle grinder, you needed
one anyway :)
To get the pins out, melting the bushings like Frank says is a good idea.
Then try levering with a crowbar (you needed one anyway) on the head side
of the bolt between the big washer that is welded to the head and the
bracket (tab) on the car.  SInce the bracket wants to deform, take your
hacksaw and cut a 2x4 to the right length to brace the mounting against a
chassis rail.  Heat, rust killer, banging on one side (do you have a big
a** mallet?), and levering on the other side WILL get it out.

You planned this out all wrong.:)  Never plan it out in terms of time, you
put yourself under too much pressure.  Enjoy the fight and remember,
persistance wins.  The longer it takes, the better it will feel when you
get the bastard out, hold it in your hand and swear at it who it thinks it
is anyway...

Ulix
P.S. Having the right tools makes it much more fun too.

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Philip Hubbard wrote:

> The saga continues though I am less worked up (and whiney :))
>
> I tried to lever from the inside out to get the nut to bite and come off
> the fulcrum pin, but I'm having no joy.  Also, I took out my hacksaw just
> to measure things up.  Seems I can't get at the thing to cut it off either
> if it comes to that.
>
> Continued suggestions are welcome.  :)
>
> Philip
> Burgundy 1974 Midget