Re: Torque Wrench

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Torque Wrench
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:07:47 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip Hubbard wrote:
> Assuming I should just get the torque wrench - is the micrometer type the
> only way to fly or are those with the rod/scale ok as well.  They seem to
> be much cheaper, but they seem a little flimsy.  Anyone have any personal
> experience with them?

  I'd use the rod/scale ones if it was that or nothing.

  The click-types are better but they are expensive so I can understand
not having one.

  However, a cheap rod/scale one can be had for $10-$15 and will
be infinitely better than guessing.

  In reference to "tightening them up good", you will probably
find that a lot of torque figures are a lot less than you
would expect. I would guess that without a torque wrench you
would overtighten everything.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/