Re: Torque Wrench

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Torque Wrench
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:10:10 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Philip!
If you're going to do some serious work on your car, you need to have an
accurate torque wrench.  The proper torque is necessary to put the
fasteners under the correct design pre-load, which is important if you
don't want to have to worry about fatigue failures.  Torque specs are
usually only called out where they are important.  By just tightening 'em
up good, you could either get them too loose, or just at or past the point
where they yield without totally breaking.  Besides, a torque wrench will
make you feel like a real mechanic  :-)

I use the micrometer type and don't have any experience with the rod and
scale type, but if you get a good quality wrench it shouldn't matter which
style it is, both should be sufficiently accurate.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain