5-speed questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 5-speed questions
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:03:06 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some questions for those with the Datsun 5-speed conversion:

I just got my speedo adapter & cable from Rivergate.  The instructions
are ok, but not very detailed for the mechanically-challenged.  Since
I'd prefer to know exactly what I'm doing before I dig in, can anybody
describe the installation in detail?  I know it installs through the
shifter hole - where do I look in there for the transmission speedometer
output?  right side?  left side?  The routing of the cable under the
tail housing and driveshaft, and up the left of the transmission tunnel
to the firewall seems pretty straight-forward, but it also seems like a
pretty cramped area to work in - Anybody have any tips on the best way
to do this?  (Please don't tell me it's easier with the engine and
tranny out of the car - that is NOT an option)  Also, it says to attach
the cable to the left side of the transmission tunnel so that it cannot
contact the exhaust system - HOW?  Is there a bracket there somewhere
already?  Do I need to fabricate something to attach it with (hope not)?
Any suggestions?  super glue?  Chewing gum and rubberbands?

I just realized it would probably be a good idea to get a shop manual
for this tranny.  Is there one available?  Do I have to look for a
Datsun 210 manual?  Can anybody recommend a good one?  Does Haynes have
one?

Sorry, for all the dumb questions, but without a manual for the tranny,
I feel somewhat confused.

-NORY

Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '71 5-speed Midget (my new baby)
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger