RE: Brakes - Confused

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Brakes - Confused
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 15:46:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 06:43 AM 6/26/98 -0700, you wrote:
>the car has been sitting for a long time). If you suspect the master
>cylinder, make sure that the pedal is returning all of the way and that
>there is free play at the push rod before you overhaul the cylinder. If
>you pull the clevis pin on the master cylinder push rod and the brakes
>free up, the problem is lack of free play between the rod and the piston
>in the master cylinder. If you worked on the front suspension, check to
>make sure that you didn't put a kink the flex lines when you put the
>front end back together. If I were a betting person, I would bet on the
>master cylinder. - Jim

Jim,

It looks like you may be the lucky winner in the "Guess what's wrong with
my car now?" contest.  I'm thinking master cylinder.  Here's why:

Both front brakes are locked tight and used to be fine when the car was
last on the road.  Both calipers going at once with identical symptoms?
Seems unlikely.

Working on driver's side, I loosened the line at the chassis.  Brake fluid,
but no unlocking of the brakes.  Tightened back up and asked list advice.
Loosened bleed screw until brake fluid coming out.  No change in locked up
brakes.

Went to passenger's side.  Undid bleed screw and took it completely out for
a moment.  No change in brakes on that side.

Have to think it is master cylinder.  So, I plan on sucking out the old
fluid somehow (maybe just a hose and syphon - will that work?  it sure is
cheap) and taking a look at the mc.  I'll check for play as suggested in
hopes that the mc is not bad, but just needs an adjustment.

Questions:

1)  If I need to fix the mc, is there any point in rebuilding?  Should I
just buy a new one instead?  I know they aren't exactly cheap, but I saw a
deal for about $140.  Maybe better just to go new?

2)  Wheel cylinders - with front disc brakes, do I have them up front or is
it only on the back?  Don't see them listed in catalogs except for back.

3)  Why would the mc go bad just sitting in my garage?  Brakes were fine,
them both fronts go at once and no driving in between though I did roll it
into the garage about 15 feet one day.  :)

Thanks all for your help.  MG 98 looks grim indeed as I know I won't get
near finishing this weekend and that leaves only one more to go.  OTOH, I
have from July 3 through July 13 off and I've got to believe I could get
the car back on the road working on it each day during this period.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget

PS Anyone in the NY metro area (I'm in E. Rutherford, NJ) who wants to hang
out, drink beers and work on my car has an open invitation.  :)  I'm joking
around, but serious.  :)