Re: Brakes - Confused

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brakes - Confused
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:32:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If it is just the front brakes locking up, you =may= have some corrosion
between the dust seal the fluid seal on the caliper pistons. Such corrosion
can make the piston a very tight fit so that it doesn't retract slightly as
it should when the brakes are released. This is not necessarily an
expensive disaster. My calipers had this, but the pistons and bores were
fine otherwise. Some VERY careful work with some small squares of sandpaper
got everything back as it should be. New kits in the calipers and they work
great and don't leak.

If releasing the fluid pressure as you have done doesn't free the brake,
then the problem has got to be in the caliper itself. Once you've bled off
the pressure, the master cylinder is completely out of the picture as far
as locked brakes go.

Tom Zuchowski