Re: Chinese junk

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Subject: Re: Chinese junk
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 08:40:34 -0700
Cc: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel Thompson wrote:

> BTW, people of Chinese or any other origin simply perform the job they are
>paid to do; the substandard quality of some Moss distributed parts is no
>reflection on their culture, nationality or skin color.

Daniel...

I didn't see or read into Frank's post any
Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese/Malaynese/Italian bashing.  I read pure, unbridled,
and righteous frustration and anger at companies that buy cheap and sell high
without
regard to quality or concern for the end user.  But you are right.  Quality CAN
be a reflection on the wages paid.  But last I heard, they weren't paying any
wages in the Chinese "labor camps" where so much
of the country's exported crap and crud come from.  (Anyone who thinks that
cheap wages can't produce good quality can just look at their own feet.  Where
do you think those Nikes and Reeboks come from?)

We must face it.  Those who manufacture reproduction parts do so to meet the
requirements and demands of their market of distributors.  If distributors were
more demanding on quality, the manufacturers would
deliver it, and those of us on the user end would see better quality.  If as
buyers we demand higher quality from a supplier, AND WE GO ELSWWHERE  if it is
not forthcoming, suppliers would eventually be
forced by competition to do better.  The reality is that the actual cost of
manufacturing a part is a pitance compared to the final selling cost, just as
profit margins are not arbitrary and fixed.

There are good quality parts out there.  But a buyer cannot simply rely on the
traditional American way of buying things--waiting until the last-minute and
running down to Chief, or convenient ordering by
phone from one of the monsters of the parts suppliers.

This is exactly why I have, for some time time, been touting the benefits of
"buying British".  Simply put, it is my belief that the British enthusiast is
far more demanding when it comes to issues such as
quality and value.  Yes, it may take some time and some planning, but I have
found it more than worth the effort.  The benefit has been generally higher
quality and invariably lower costs.  Maybe others are
so rolling in dough that they don't have to worry about saving money, but I
work too hard to throw it away.  (Which is why I resent the arrogance of those
who would say that if you don't have the money to
spend, you don't belong among those who enjoy these cars.)

A year or more ago, I put up a post regarding the purchase of parts from
England.  If any people want it reposted, or want it sent e-mail, just let me
know.

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California
Frogeyes AN 5L/762,  AN 5L/26893