Re: "CHEAP junk"

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: "CHEAP junk"
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:07:24 -0500
Cc: <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I think that an additional problem with this CHEAP JUNK that is being sold
through some of the larger vendors is that it hurts the reputations of our
cars further.

Many non LBC car people still know Moss's name because of their large
advertising budget.  Many first time owners turn to them for parts without
having any ideas that the parts that they are buying are inferior to the
original parts, and when they find they are ill fitting/low quality, it is
chalked up to the car, not the supplier.

We have all seem the chrome that rusts in months, parts that have to be
modified to fit, and mechanical parts that fail after 5000 miles.  Often
these problems, especially the mechanical ones, are fixed because the
returns and bad will are unprofitable.  Unfortunately it can feel as if
there are vendors who try to see how many corners they can cut in
production, then bring the quality up just enough to satisfy people.

Quality parts can be made at an acceptable price, but only in volume.  A
possible answer could be an approved sanction on high quality parts,
regardless as to the country of origin, but of course most ever LBC
organization or club relays on the big suppliers for support in one for or
another.

If a quality source is identifiable, we who are concerned about the future
availability of quality arts, must patronize the vendors who sell them, and
educate new owners in the benefits of using them.

Patton