Re: Fuel feed problems - '77 1500

To: "Charles Schaal" <cschaal@murlin.com>, "spridgets@auto.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fuel feed problems - '77 1500
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 08:11:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On 7/4/98 11:42 PM so and so (Charles Schaal) said. (And I quote:)

>Got the mean green drivin' machine on the road after a 2 year gap. Have
>developed a fuel feed problem that I addressed a couple of weeks ago on
>the list.  We replaced the fuel line but the machine still will lose
>fuel if allowed to idle for a couple of minutes - say at a light or
>such. I have cobbled a "force fuel" system using a bicycle pump attached
>to the "breather line". A few pumps and we are in business, as long as I
>don't sit still.
>
>Local intellegence has suggested this is a vapor lock problem. The
>offending area- according to the mech. - is between the fuel pump and
>the in line filter on the way to the carb. My observation is I thought
>the electrical pump could overcome the vapor lock problem on its own. No
>amouint of cranking will get fuel to the carb without "pressurized"
>help. Those that know the fuel line on the 1500 may have another
>location to check. If the offending location can be found I'll just put
>some "piping" insulation on the fuel line.
>
>Any other ideas - BTW, I have been able to rule out a vacum being drawn
>on the tank.
>
>Chas. - 77 1500 Midget.

Is this the stock Z-S carb? Is the heat sheild in place under the carb
and over the exhaust manifold? I traced a similar problem to this several
years ago. Seems the fuel was boliing out of the float bowl. ergo no fuel
at the jet.

Good Luck

Larry Macy
78 Midget (Weber no ZS problems)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?