Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:33:16 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip,

The blue sticky substance is not for gasket purposes.  Your brake pads came
with some of this in a plastic tube, and it goes between the metal back of
the pad and the piston that drives the pad.  It attaches the pad to the
piston supposedly to prevent rattle.  You do not have to use it.  If it
looks too invasive, remove it.

Hey, I hope you are enjoying your struggles with the car, because they are
reaching epic proportions. If the fun is disappearing, a good brake place
should be able to sort out your various brake caliper and pedal problems
without costing you an unusual amount?  Not a criticism, just an
observation from someone who is also capable of spending a lot of time to
avoid getting paid help!

Daryl

----------
> From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
> Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 7:55 AM
>
> Fellow listers,
>
> I've been blessed with some good advice on the list lately concerning my
> brakes.  Acting on some of that advice, I decided to check the easiest
> thing first - are my brake pads getting free movement in the caliper
> assembly so that they can retract.
>
> After pulling out the pads on the driver's side I found a blue sticky
> substance spread thinly and evenly over the entire back of both pads.  A
> tiny amount also had gotten on the lip of one of the pistons.  What the
> heck is this stuff and should it be there?  I didn't put the pads in -
the
> shop who rebuilt my calipers did that for me.  In my lack of experience
I'd