Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:37:21 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:33 AM 7/12/98 -0700, Daryl May wrote:
>Philip,
>
>The blue sticky substance is not for gasket purposes.  Your brake pads came
>with some of this in a plastic tube, and it goes between the metal back of
>the pad and the piston that drives the pad.  It attaches the pad to the
>piston supposedly to prevent rattle.  You do not have to use it.  If it
>looks too invasive, remove it.

Many thanks to several folks who posted info on the blue sticky stuff being
an anti-squeal arrangement.  I'll leave it for now, but know that I can
remove it if other things don't work.

>Hey, I hope you are enjoying your struggles with the car, because they are
>reaching epic proportions. If the fun is disappearing, a good brake place
>should be able to sort out your various brake caliper and pedal problems
>without costing you an unusual amount?  Not a criticism, just an
>observation from someone who is also capable of spending a lot of time to
>avoid getting paid help!
>
>Daryl

Daryl,

I've considered this very carefully and may come to doing it.  I'm not
quite fed up with my brake "struggles", but I would like to be driving the
car with a clear conscience about the brakes.  :)  I'm enjoying learning
the various possible fixes for my current problems and want to try out the
things I can do to see if I can get things going.  If I don't, then I don't
mind paying a little to clear up the problem.

Looks like I have the following to go:

check push rod at master cylinder for a bit of free movement
check brake light switch for enough free movement
dirt between rotor and hub
driving enough to get the new brake pads set in properly
clean up the anti-squeal material

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this problem so far.  I'm especially
glad to hear that I don't have to drain the brake fluid to check the mc
push rod.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget