Re: Responses to Pontiac 151 Query

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Responses to Pontiac 151 Query
From: "R. C. Brown" <rcbrown@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:49:26 -0500
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, Pat Brown <pdbrown1@lucent.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Richard:

I know nothing about the Pontiac or most other engines you asked about.
But, my wife did purchase a 59 Bugeye with a Buick 3.8L V6 and a
Chevy Turbo Automatic tranny.  This car is NOT a daily driver!  The
speeds it can attain have not yet been determined but it does go fast.
The major drawback is HEAT, both engine and driver.  The radiator
(with 160 termostat - see other thread) is much to small for this
configuration, we have a Spitfire crossflow radiator (we are told) and
today I'm going shopping for someone to build a custom one. Using an
electric fan and a flex fan does not help. We typically run at at 240+
then we let it sit for awhile and cool down before driving farther.

The firewall is not insulated and all grommets are missing, so there
is free flowing engine heat on to the driver. Last week we wrapped the
(custom) headers but have not had an opportunity to fully test the
driver comfort level.

The Sprite frame was extensively modified to get the drive train into
the car. I would not recommend this be atttempted by someone that does
not have considerable experience in this type of modification!

By the way, yesterday our club ran some speed runs at an old air force
base, with police timing. One run only, 1/2 mile from a standing start
and I was clocked at 99mph. Faster than all the other Healeys at the
event. With a little practise at this type of event, and some minor
engine tuning we could get a few more MPH, but who needs it.

Bob Brown