Re: Oil Leak Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, jurban@pond.com
Subject: Re: Oil Leak Question
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:06:37 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If the oil is dirty it is probably engine oil (thats if your engine oil
is dirty, on a fresh rebuild and frequent oil changes it stays pretty
clean in which case you'll have to have it dye tested) if it is clean
it's probably Transmission. If it's a trans leak the engine has to come
out. There is no real seal around the input shaft it's just like the
rear seal on the engine a spiral groove on the shaft, The front gearbox
cover can wear out if the pilot bushing gets worn and allows the input
shaft to flop around. If this has happened the only way to seal it is a
new front cover MiniMania sells one modified to use a proper oil seal I
think Winner's Circle carries it as well.
If it leaking from the engine It could be the rear crankshaft seal or
the oil pump. Make sure that the breather is not clogged causing
pressure to build up in the crankcase, or if installed that the PCV
system is functioning correctly. If the leak persists it could be your
oil pump.