Re: An observation about the Occupation Survey

To: "Andy Poling" <andy@globalauctions.com>, "Fred Krampits" <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Subject: Re: An observation about the Occupation Survey
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:20:08 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Fred Krampits wrote:
>> >From what I've seen, and I don't mind the extra messages, it looks like
>> we have quite a bunch professionals on this list. One of the things I
>> appreciate about my LBC is the low tech nature of the car, since I live
>> and work in a high tech world, its an escape.
>
>I think you're right... it can be very therapeutic (to my mind) to work on
>mechanical things - especially cars.  There's just something about hands-on
>work...
>
>Maybe it's the fact that you can finish most auto repair tasks in a discrete
>amount of time and (maybe) even then test-drive your work and experience the
>"thrill of victory".  :-) As opposed to (for example) software development
>projects that can last more than a year and never really be "done", and
>never give you that same sense of closure.
>
>However, I don't know if it's fair to say that the list membership
>represents the owner population in general.  You kind of expect that you
>will see technical people over-represented in any online forum... just
>because they're more likely to have access to (and training in the use of)
>computers, and their companines are more likely to have internet acccess in
>the office (and alot of people participate from their office at work).
>
>-Andy

All of the above seem to be true, so far. I have a lot of Software
developers and computer oriented people. So far I have nearly 200 replies
from both the mgs and spridgets lists. I am going to wait about another
week to let those that are on the digests a chance to respond. I will
post a summary of all the responses sometime next week.
I have to agree that ownership is not necessarily represented by the
lists. One of the individuals that got me to ask this question was a tug
boat captain and does not use the internet at all. Just as a for instance.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu