Front suspension thoughts (again!)

To: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front suspension thoughts (again!)
From: GuyWeller@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 06:01:52 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Spent some while recently lying under the front of my sprite, just looking and
thinking  - as one does from time to time.
Two ideas :

Firstly is there a modification to replace that threaded bolt / grease thing
that pretends to be the outer lower pivot point.  Could one machine the hole
in the bottom of the kingpin to take a stock needle roller bearing and have a
pivot bolt that was clamped into the wishbone somehow ? Perhaps needle rollers
wouldn't take the hammering from the suspension movement ?  Any comments ?

Also the inner wishbone pivots seem to rely on good luck and the fact that
they sieze up rather than any engineering principles, to stay fastened
together.  Two larger stepped washers (one attatched to the pivot bolt) locate
into the thin and flimsy chassis mounting points.  On my car these seem too
bendy so that the stepped washer won't stay properly located in the hole.  It
looks like an improvement would be to fit a larger washer (larger than the
hole) between the rubber bushes and the chassis mountings. This would make
sure that the stepped washers didn't pop out by sandwiching the cassis bit
between two larger washers, with the smaller stepped bit between.  Perhaps
there is something misssing on my car here ?
What do race spridgets use ? or do you just secure everything with spot welds
and grind off when you want to dismantle ?

Guy