Re: Rear hub seals?

To: Joerger <joerger@open.org>
Subject: Re: Rear hub seals?
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 08:58:16 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mark,
        I don't know if you've found or solved the problem but I would look at
your axle vent to make sure it is open/clear/venting. Diffs do build up
pressure and if your other sealing techniques are very successful, the
pressure's gotta go somewhere. How's the pinion seal holding?
Just some thoughts that may help.
Cheers  peter c

At 07:26 PM 8/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>some snipping here<
>I'm stumped.  I've had a persistent oil leak
>from the rear axle that soaks the wire wheels
>in about 100 miles.
>So. I'm thinking that the hub seals are bad.
>Only problem is that the seals were replaced when
>the rear-end was refurbished two years ago.  The
>leak has been there all this time.

Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com