Re: Missing Oil

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: Missing Oil
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:39:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

--------------------------

> >To: morris@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Missing Oil
> >Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:44:37 -0400
> >Sender: owner-morris@autox.team.net
> >
> >Dear Fellow Morris Fans,
> >
> >Has anyone experienced a severe loss of oil from a 1275cc engine under
> >load?  Twice I have blown out all my oil while driving at high speeds
> >(for a Minor that is) on the Interstate highway.  Running around town I
> >have no loss other than the usual drip here and there.  The oil is
> >blowing out of the bottom or back of the block, leaving the entire
> >underside of the car covered with a dousing of oil, all the way back to
> >the gas tank and rear bumper.  The oil is clean and not "burned."  I've
> >had the all the breather pipes replaced and the sump seals.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >

> >David P. Saidel

I have had this problem before.
It always has been a result of a missing or bum PCV system.
If the 1275 can not vent it's internal pressure it will blow oil out of
the lower back side of the engine.
If there is a crankcase ventilation system and it is faulty, the 1275
will suck oil into the intake and smoke.
I have an Austin A40 with a 1275 that gave me real headaches when it
came to crankcase ventilation. Every engine seems to be different.
I have 5 1275s on the road, 3 have just a PCV valve and are fine, 1 has
nothing, it never leaked or smoked!, the Austin A40 has a filtered vent
hole in the bottom of the block, a PCV from the timing cover, and a tube
from the rocker cover to the intake side of the carb. And it needs it
all or it blows oil. When the PCV spring got stuck it smoked like a
chimney. And this is a fresh rebuild! Now that it has 3 vents, it is
fine, no (well not much for an LBC)oil leak, and no oil burning.

Just some thoughts
Frank Clarici
4 Sprites
1 Mini
1 Austin A40
1 Midget racer
and now 2 VWs and a pick up truck to gather parts for all of the above.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ