RE: Brake Fluid

To: "'Michael O'Higgins'" <roterhed@email.msn.com>, Spridget Mail List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Brake Fluid
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 07:40:52 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Quick Summary:  (This is a "list consensus", so individuals may disagree.
 I hope this formats OK)

                PRO:                            CON:
DOT 3           Cheap                           Eats natural rubber seals
                Easily available                        Eats paint
                                                Lower boiling point
                                                Actually draws water from air

DOT 4           Cheap                           Eats paint
                Doesn't eat natural rubber      Still draws water, but not as
much
                Higher boiling point

DOT 4+          Draws almost no water           Eats paint
                Very high boiling point         More expensive than DOT 4
                Doesn't eat seals               Harder to find

DOT 5 /         Doesn't eat paint               Expensive
Silicone                Doesn't eat rubber              Difficult to bleed all
the air out
                Very high boiling point         You should only change over when
                Doesn't draw water at all               replacing all the
rubber in the system.
                Relatively easy to find.

Consensus:

DOT 3           DO NOT USE!
DOT 4           OK
DOT 4+          OK
DOT 5           Depends on who you ask.

PERSONAL OPINION:
Some people complain that DOT 5 / Silicone (a) gives a softer pedal, (b)
causes systems to leak, and (c) allows water to pool in the hydraulics
(because it won't absorb it).  I have been running silicone for 3 years now
without a problem.  I figure that (a) anything will give a soft pedal if
you don't get all the air out, which is more difficult with silicone, (b)
Since silicone causes rubber to swell less DOT 4, a system changed over
without replacing all the rubber in the system will leak, and (c) I can't
figure how the water that would hypothetically pool would get in there in
the first place.

Anyway, as far as I know everyone agrees that you won't go wrong with DOT 4
or 4+.  People who are really worried about screwing up their brand new
paint tend to go for DOT 5.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net

P.S. "Silicon" is a mineral used in making glass and semiconductors.
 "Silicone" (note the "e" at the end) is a synthetic liquid used in
lubricants, breast implants, and some brake fluid.