Rocker Shaft Assembly

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rocker Shaft Assembly
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:13:53 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello

I am quite new to this list and have found it very comforting to know such
a wealth of knowledge exists out "there".  I am in the final assembly
stages of a complete rebuild of my '72 Midget 1275.  (It only needed a
clutch but while you've got it out why not pistons, valves, balancing etc
etc etc!!)

The problem I have today in assembling the rocker shaft is that about half
the rocker arms do not line up with the valve stem in the middle of the
contact surface of the rocker arm.  Is it usual practice to put washers
between the pedestals and the rockers (or in other strategic locations) to
minimize this problem?   The Haynes book is very vague on this whole
assembly.   I have new competition Isky valve springs and it doesn't seem
to me to be a very good idea to have any kind of offset pressure on the
rockers arms.

Or is this a symptom of some other problem?  The rocker shaft is new and
new bushings were fitted to the rocker arms.  Three of the four pedestals
have oil holes in the bottom although there is only one oil passage under
the front pedestal.  Might this indicate a creative gathering of parts by a
previous owner?

Many thanks

Dave Hiley
Calgary,  Alberta