Re: SU rebuild - a few questions

To: samesq@pacbell.net (Swift Justice)
Subject: Re: SU rebuild - a few questions
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net (Spridget List)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Steve.  On the off-chance that you haven't gotten any answers yet
(I'm a little behind on my e-mail), I have become intimately familiar
with my SU's, so maybe I can help.....

>1.   Throttle shafts: Is it absolutely
>necessary to put in new bushings and
>ream to fit? Can you just buy a new shaft >and install? One of them has
a definite
>ridge worn in it, the other is fine.

Depends on where the wear is - on the shafts or (and?) on the body?.
Look at the holes the shafts go through.  Are they still round, or are
they oval?  Try taking the non-worn part of the shaft (ie the end) and
seeing how it fits in there.  If there's no excessive play, a new shaft
should be all you'll need.  The one with the ridge should definitely be
replaced.  The other one will probably be fine, as long as you don't
have that excessive play.

>2.   Piston: both pistons have a little
>surface rust on the air cleaner side (sat
>with the air cleaners off) If they are not
>pitted, will a little "emery cloth" do the >trick?

Sure, no problem.  As long as it's strictly surface rust it should be
ok.  (These old SU's are not the delicate, extremely sensitive, gadgets
you see on modern cars ;-))

>3.   Piston springs: How "springy" should
>they be? These seem to have less spring >than a slinky (for fun its a
wonderful toy)

Hard to say how "springy" they should be.  I don't think they're
expensive, so new ones would be cheap insurance.  OTOH, I'm still using
my old ones in my '74 with no problems.

>4.   Linkage: On my own SU's the
>linkage between the two throttles is
>missing. Can I get these parts from the
>usual suspects? (haven't seem them)

Don't know about the usual suspects, but a salvage yard that has a
junked Spridget may let you have it cheap.  You can also try some of the
listers and see who has a parts car you could possibly get one from.
There are a couple vendors on the 'net who sell used parts too (I can
get you further info on them if you need it).

>5.   Unisyn: the car came with one, but
>no instructions. Anyone have one that
>they can scan or send a copy via snail
>mail?

Wish I could help, but I've never been able to get the darned thing to
work myself.

>6..   Engine: Anyone have a good
>1098CC with all the acilliary goodies for
>sale? (for me)

Put in a 1275.  You won't be sorry.

>      Thanks for all the help,

Welcome

-NORY

Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '71 5-speed Midget (my new baby)
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger