Re: Brakes

To: fatboy@metro.net
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 20:31:54 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
fatboy@metro.net wrote:
Brake springs, 69 Sprite

> Anyway Spridgeteer brake mechanics...any consensus or similar experiences
> out there...inside or outside? I just hate a mystery unsolved, so any input
> from you guys and gals would be appreciated.

Bill

The rear brake springs do have to be on the correct way.
1) the top spring, with the offset, needs to clear the axle.
2) they do belong on the inside of the shoe.
Make sure the shoes are in the correct position, one oblong hand brake
notch on top right (right hand side of car) the other oblong notch will
be on the bottom left (also on the right hand side of car)
these same notches will be top left/bottom right on the left hand side
of the car.
The shoes will also have a round spring slot and a elongated spring
slot. 1 each on top, 1 each on bottom.
The top spring must be positioned so the square offset clears the
rotating axle, this is critticle!!
The bottom spring just fits either way.
I fit the top spring to the shoes before I set the shoes to the car.
hook the spring to the shoes and stretch it over the axle then set the
shoes into the wheel cyl. the bottom spring can be placed on (from
behind) while the shoes are pulled away from the axle and then set
inplace around the adjuster. Be carfull the adjuster wedges do not fall
out, the brake springs keep them in place. Also make sure your adjusters
are well greased or Neverseized (Antiseize) and fully working before you
set the new shoes.

Hope this helps, it is actually much easier to do than to explain.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ