Timing Question

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Timing Question
From: "Daryl and Jennifer May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 19:12:11 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I would like to eliminate timing as the reason I haven't got my Bugeye
started yet.  Because the motor isn't yet running, I'm using static timing.
 My problem is that the distributor rotor's contact (the one that swipes
each of the four plug wire terminals in turn in the distributor cap) is so
large (spans 20 degrees or so) that it is not clear which of the plug wire
terminals it is pointing at.

This is tricky to explain, so perhaps I can start at the beginning:

1. Mechanical timing (timing chain) is all good.

2.  Turned engine over until it arrived at the right BTDC setting on the
firing stroke (cylinder 1 valves having just closed, cylinder 4 valves just
opened).

3.  Rotated distributor from counterclockwise until contact just lost
between negative coil terminal and ground, then rotated clockwise until
contact just re-made, then fixed distributor in place.

4.  Placed rotor on distributor.  The rotor is one with such a wide
terminal that it's not clear what cylinder it is pointing at, so I am not
quite sure which wire to take to cylinder #1.  Anyone been there to advise
me?

Having said that, I've tried more than one routeing of the wires (i.e.,
1342, 3421, etc) without success.  But I would appreciate getting the
timing doubts properly behind me so I can move on.

Thanks for any advice,

Daryl