Chatter Strap

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chatter Strap
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 07:23:32 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey guys:

Another question!  The chatter strap or chatter bar, as one mechanic called
it--the cable that connects the rear of the 1500 engine to the frame in my
1979 Midget was not tightened by the PO after being installed.  It was just
hanging loose in the frame, threaded in but not tight at all.  I tightened it
but have no idea how tight this is supposed to be.  Any clues as to how to
tell when the proper tension is reached?

I still have an exhaust rattle and exhaust leak somewhere--have not discovered
it yet--pipes are all welded up so I have not been able to actually remove the
header and pipe to check for cracks, as one friendly responder suggested.  I
did jack up the Midge and crawl under, looking and feeling for something--but
found nothing yet.  Can't adequately check it running as it gets so hot.  I
have run hand around pipe whereever it comes close to the frame but it is
rigid enough that it is hitting nowhere I have checked.

So one mechanic suggested the "chatter strap", which I found very loose.
"Aha!"  That's it!!!  I thought.  Well after tightening that strap it is still
"Chattering".  Maybe I didnt get it tight enough? I dunno!  Will still, as
always, welcome any input.

--David
    '67 Sprite, aka, Vicky
    '79 Midget, aka, The Taz