Re: 3/4 Master Cylinder

To: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@msn.com>
Subject: Re: 3/4 Master Cylinder
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:21:36 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:

> Can anyone verify for me that the push rods are the same between the 3/4 and
> the 7/8 MC's. I'm looking at a 3/4 to put in one of my Bugeyes and noticed
> that the hole in the piston where the rod fits is only about half as deep as
> the hole in the piston for the 7/8. Seems to me that it would make the end
> of the piston sit about an inch deeper than it would on the 7/8. All
> reference's seem to indicate that they are the same.
>
> Larry Miller

Larry

Yes indeed they (the holes in the pistons) are much deeper on the 7/8
master.
I never noticed this before and this would have been the reason my
brakes were locked on when I first swapped out the 7/8 for the 3/4
master but I did use the original 7/8 push rods (because they were
already painted and srill in the pedal box) This drove me nuts for a
couple of days since I thought my troubles were due to silicone brake
fluid.
In the end I just re-adjusted the pushrods (from the 7/8)and the brakes
have been fine since.
I don't know for sure if the push rods are different, I have a tray full
of them and they are all the same length. I also have 3 or so of each
master and will never know which rods went to which masters.
I will look into this further tomorrow. The springs in the 3/4 may be
different to accomodate the shorter piston.
Either way, go ahead with the 3/4 bore, the only thing you will have to
do is reset the length of the travel on the rods once it is installed.

Thanks to your question I have answered my own question of "why" when my
brakes were locked up back in April when I was going to sell em all!

Always learning.....

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ