Re: Southeastern Classic

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Southeastern Classic
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:01:38 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Allright....I haven't said anything thus far, but I will now...You guys
have been talking up Mapquest.com and Yahoomaps for a couple of messages
now on this thread.  I just wanted to add an interesting note.

My company makes those maps that are used for both of those sites.  We
make in-vehicle navigation systems which use computerized (digital)
maps.   Those maps are also leased to web services such as yahoo and
mapquest.

So, if you have any questions, problems, etc.....just let me know and
I'd be happy to answer them if you wish.

I feel like the "Hair Club for Men" guy...."not only am I the president,
but I'm also a customer..."  blah, blah, blah.  Not only do I make web
maps, but I also own a LBC!!!!

Anyway....if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to address them.

And in case any of you were going to ask:  No, Gerty doesn't have a
nav-system.  I JUST switched her over to negative ground, and they're
still just a bit expensive for me and due to the vandalism/theft
issue.....I won't put one in my car.

Check out our website for more info if you wish....(www.navtech.com).

One last thing, both Yahoomaps and Mapquest use a somewhat quirky search
algorithym if you ask me.  In the event that they can't find an address,
they'll both return a "city-center" point that will at least get you to
the local area.  So, if you type in an address, and it's not found,
those sites will probably route you to the city hall or something like
that.

Curt

--
Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")