60s Style Fire Extinguisher

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 60s Style Fire Extinguisher
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:26:34 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On the weekend I found (in a shop) an old fire extiguisher.  I'm hoping
someone from the Spridgets or Shop-Talk Lists might be able to tell me
about old style extinguishers.

Basically it is a chrome metal canister, with a small nozzel at on end and
a pump handle at the other.  The transfer type label, which would probably
tell me what I need to know, has almost completely worn away, but I  found
a VERY similar item in a 1966 catalog.
I would like to put it in my Sprite for show days etc, but not use it (it's
probably illegal anyway?)

The catalog entry described it as 1 Quart capacity, SIMPLEX brand, AUTO
model extiguisher for "car and small switchboard fires", with a double
action pump to put the "fire fighting fluid" where it is needed.

1.  Any ideas what this fire fighting fluid might be - is it going to kill
me (the extinguisher seems to be empty)

2.  Assuming someone can guess what I'm talking about, any idea if there
are any "user serviceable parts"  in this sort of extinguisher?

3.  Any  other info on this?

I think I can make out a small map of Australia on the label so it may be a
uniquely Australian thing, but they may have been widely used and someone
might know about his thing - anyone?

Thanks

Greg

Greg Mahney in Perth, Western Australia.

Mk 2A, Sprite, with a 948 engine (and it's my wife's anyway!)

e-mail:  mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au