Re: 60s Style Fire Extinguisher

To: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re: 60s Style Fire Extinguisher
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 23:06:18 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greg MAHNEY wrote:

> On the weekend I found (in a shop) an old fire extiguisher.  I'm hoping
> someone from the Spridgets or Shop-Talk Lists might be able to tell me
> about old style extinguishers.
>
> Basically it is a chrome metal canister, with a small nozzel at on end and
> a pump handle at the other.  The transfer type label, which would probably
> tell me what I need to know, has almost completely worn away, but I  found
> a VERY similar item in a 1966 catalog.
> I would like to put it in my Sprite for show days etc, but not use it (it's
> probably illegal anyway?)
>
> The catalog entry described it as 1 Quart capacity, SIMPLEX brand, AUTO
> model extiguisher for "car and small switchboard fires", with a double
> action pump to put the "fire fighting fluid" where it is needed.
>
> 1.  Any ideas what this fire fighting fluid might be - is it going to kill
> me (the extinguisher seems to be empty)
>
> 2.  Assuming someone can guess what I'm talking about, any idea if there
> are any "user serviceable parts"  in this sort of extinguisher?
>
> 3.  Any  other info on this?
>
> I think I can make out a small map of Australia on the label so it may be a
> uniquely Australian thing, but they may have been widely used and someone
> might know about his thing - anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg

Greg

I had on of those chrome fire extinquishers. I sold it to someone who
had an ad somewhere on the Net a couple of years ago.

I beleive (not positive though) the chemical inside was carbon
tetracholide.(better known as carbon tet)
I have a couple of old pump style f/ex on the wall in my basement. They
have been used as squirt guns when I was a kid. I found them in the
trash way back when. In fact it says on one of them "original fluid
contains 20% carbon tetracloride.
I do not know how dangerous carbon tet is these days, it was widely used
in the 60s but so was DDT!
You can fill it with water, it will put out all but fuel fires should
something pop up on the car.
And it will make a great squirt gun to cool off your partners roasting
in the sun at the car shows.

regards
--
Frank Clarici