Re: Transmission Help Needed

To: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Help Needed
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:26:33 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D. wrote:

> Here is my situation:
> The tranny on the '66 is popping out of first gear and is getting
> worse.  The other gears seem very good.  I have a '69 parts car with
> a complete tranny.  I have no history with this tranny and neither
> does the PO.  It has been suggested that I avoid putting the '69 in
> my car as is - it is probably as bad, if not worse, than the '67's.

Paul

You could always open the inspection cover and check out first gear in
the 69. Then just swap 1st gears since your other gears are fine.
Or take a chance and try the 69 gear box. It may be fine. It may even be
a rebuilt unit. (yeah right!)
If you take a look inside and all the teeth are there I would give it a
try. If you go about rebuilding one out of 2, be sure to do all the
bearings, synchros, etc. And that costs around $800.

I know, no answers that you wanted to hear but you can rebuild the
trannys at home on a clean white sheet covered work bench (or coffee
table if your wife is like mine)with basic hand tool and some old dental
picks.

good luck
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ