Re: vapor lock - not

To: Charles Schaal <cschaal@murlin.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: vapor lock - not
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:01:28 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have experienced, as have others with other cars, that if/when the
fuelpump diaphragm gets a small tear that it grows bigger when warm.
Suggest removing the fuel pump and testing with a guage or with your
bicycle pump. HTH     Peter C

At 09:07 PM 9/23/98 -0500, Charles Schaal wrote:
>some of you might remember the problem we were having with the 77 midget
>because of a supposed vapor lock. I attached a bicycle pump to the
>breather line and when I lost fuel gave it about 6 or 7 good pumps and
>away we go. It now is apparent that the problem is not vapor lock but a
>weak fuel pump (mech) that seems to lose its prime - especially when the
>machine is hot, though not overheated. Question: Why would the fuel pump
>be incapable of doing its job when the machine is hot but not a problem
>when it is cold?

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti
(the Sprite with an accent)