Re: Sway Bar mounting bolts.....last message

To: Curtis Carlson <carlson@navtech.com>
Subject: Re: Sway Bar mounting bolts.....last message
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Curt,

damn, I gave you the wrong size!  I owe you a beer. I have lived in this
country for 11 years now and still can't get the fractional sizes right.
It's not 3/8", it's 5/16", isn't it?
Don't buy any more wrong taps, let someone from the list verify that it is
5/16" first. (you know, the one that a 1/2" wrench fits).
9/32" is definitely wrong, both for the inner and for the outer mounts.

I will shut up now.
Ulix

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Curtis Carlson wrote:

> Hi there Spridgeteers!
>

> It's me again.  You can blame me for the stainless/grade 5 or 8
> question.  I just thought I'd let you know what's going on.
>
> I bought six 9/32" fine thread grade 8 nuts/bolts/split washers and two
> grade 8 3/8" fine thread bolts w/split washers.  I also bought a 3/8"
> tap to clean the threads.  When I got home, I checked for sizing, and
> the 9/32" bolts will work fine for connecting the end-links to the lower
> A-arm.
>
> *BUT*, the bots which hold the "squarish brackets" to the frame aren't
> even close to 3/8".  They look much closer to the 9/32" fine thread
> bolts I bought.  Since I didn't buy a 9/32" tap, it'll have to wait
> 'till this evening when I can spend another $10.00 on the right size tap
> to clean the holes.
>
> Hopefully, I should have the sway bar in, (with the correct bolts) by
> the end of this weekend.
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt
>
> --
> Curtis Carlson
> '66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")
> Research Geographer           612.931.3936 (voice)
> Navigation Technologies               612.931.3937 (fax)
> 5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100     612.308.2595 (mobile)
> Edina, MN  55436              carlson@navtech.com

                                                           '67 Sprite