Re: What's it take to buy a car from Canada

To: "Robert B. Houston" <transerv@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: What's it take to buy a car from Canada
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 22:08:52 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
First you need CDN$, but don't worry, we take US$ at par.

Don't depend on anybody to know the rules.  Under the HS: system cars over
25 years old are imported duty free but expect to pay local state tax when
licensing.  Make sure you have your receipt for the sale and make sure the
guy you buy it from 'remembers' what the price was.  Somebody may phone him
to ask.  Don't buy a car for 'tooo' low $ as nobody will believe either of
you.

DON"T SCREW AROUND WITH CUSTOMS!

Have all your paperwork with you.  Customs may be curious, let them see the
car. [Don't offer everybody a Cuban cigar!]  If you are worried about
customs contact a broker (Fritz, Towers, Jensen etc.) they will be pleased
to assist and if you ask nicely, for a reasonable fee (don't go on car's
value.)

Any history you have on car will help.

Finally, go get the car and bring it back with a bunch of friends.  You
have a great trip, meet interesting folks, get Cubans, etc. and you dollar
goes further.  And besides, customs are a whole lot easier to deal with
when YOU are right there - providing you have done your homework.

NOW, what are you looking to buy and from where?

Martyn

PS: Based on my experience bringing a Sprite out of CT to Canada.

At 05:23 PM 01-10-98 -0700, you wrote:

>You might try the triupmph list...or check the archives at autox.  Some of
>the guys on that list have imported from Canada.
>
>I seem to remember that if it is newer than a certain year (68?) it has to
>have the "federal" tag to show it was built to US specs for safety and
>emissions.
>
>Or depending on your internal honesty factor, buy a parts car in the us
>similar to one you buy in Canada, have the Canadian seller drive your
>purchase over as a tourist, and buy him a cab ride home.  Then you transfer
>ALL of the parts from your purchase to the vin plate from the parts car,
>effectively restoring the parts car.
>
>Not that I would consider doing anything like this myself, but NEW VW BUGS,
>not the front engine newbies, but the old style, can still be purchased in
>Mexico for $3500USD.  Tempting huh?
>
>Robert Houston
>74 Midget (US Version) Katy

PS! The only rust free CDN car is one with only plastic parts left.
[Unless your buying from a friend of mine and them of course its 100% rust
free and will run just perfect forever. [Cheque please guys!]>
It's the going, not the getting there, that's good.
         (Harry Chapin - Greyhound)