Re: Low Compression, 77 Midget 1500 cc

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Low Compression, 77 Midget 1500 cc
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 01:59:13 -0400
Cc: midgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:
>         Cylinder 1:  135 psi dry / 155 psi with oil
>         Cylinder 2:  40 psi dry / 60 psi with oil
>         Cylinder 3:  75 psi dry / 90 psi with oil
>         Cylinder 4:  135 psi dry / 170 psi with oil

  These are almost exactly the figures my MGB gave about
a week ago. (you might remember the series of posts) For
purposes of childish competition, I recovered ONE of the
eight compression rings, and at least 50 pieces total. I
also had a burned valve.

> Now I am wondering what are my options.  I think they range
> from a complete rebuild to doing nothing.  I would like something
> in the middle.

  That is what I did. If the bores are ok, (mine were) then you
can repair it easily in situ.

  Pull the head. You probably have burned valves on #2 and
perhaps #3. You will see because the valve will not be round,
and might have a telltale coloured area around the not
round area.

  If the seats are ok, you can install a valve and just
lap it in, all easily done with hand tools. My MGB needed
a #3 exhaust valve, and that took only an afternoon
including cleaning and inspected all 8 valves.

  For the bottom end, check if the bores are serviceable. If
so, throw in new rings and bearings. Use a ridge reamer
to remove the ridge at the top of the bores, hone the bores,
and you'll be fine.

  The 1500 has great "bottom engine" access in situ. Spend
one day stripping it down and inspecting everything, then
order the parts from UAP. When they come in the next day,
seal it up and drive away.

  Two days, no heart attack required. Total cost, $100 in
parts and maybe $60 in tools if you don't borrow them
instead.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca